The Union St. Tee

Bear with me - we're hoping Spring is coming back soon and normal photos can be resumed shortly. But for now we'll just have to deal with these photos that were essentially taken IN THE DARK.

This is a basic post about a basic tee - but simplicity is worth a mention I think.

This week it's the turn of The Union St. Tee by Hey June Handmade. I'm a fan of the Grainline Lark pattern which is very similar in its versatility as a basic t-shirt, with sleeve length and neckline options - however I did want to try this one as there appears to be a subtle difference with the fit and drape of it as the Union St. has a little more of a roomy loose feel.

The Union St. Tee comes with the option for a v-neck, scoop neck, or crew neck, and has four sleeve lengths included – short, elbow, 3/4, and long. The pattern also has a little chest pocket if you fancied it and for the ample bosom-ed among you it also comes with a per-drafted FBA section! Needless to say, that ain't for me. Less pdf to print and tape hehe.

The size range is pretty extensive ranging from XXSW - 3XL however I came out on the measurement chart as an L/XL (Just FYI for sizing I'm UK 12 for tops in RTW).

It was ridiculously easy to cut and sew and I managed to squeeze a short sleeve version out of 1 meter of fabric. The whole thing was whizzed up on the overlocker and then top stitched at the neckband and hem with my regular machine.

This amazing whale fabric was from eBay and although fairly cheap it turned out to be really thick lovely quality jersey. It has since disappeared and I wish I'd bought a bit more!

I would say that the neckband is insanely small and I had to cut a new one several inches longer to comfortably fit it around the neck and get a nice finish. So be warned, cut a bit extra than stated on the pattern.

The fit was pretty accurate and its a nice length sitting just at the hip. The only change I made was to nip it in a little at the waist for a bit of shaping. It is a boxy style and the shaping just gave it a loose feminine feel. This was just my preference though as my waist/hip differential is quite large and may have been as a result of having to grade between sizes.

The v-neck isn't perfect but it's wearable and a good layering piece!

As these bad boys only take about an hour to make I also made use of this monster fabric from Fabrics Galore which apparently I couldn't live without at the Sewing Bee Live.

All in all another great basics pattern for the arsenal. I'd definitely try the other sleeve and neckline options and hopefully hack in into a tunic tee/tee dress at some point.

 Feel free to comment and come and say hello on InstagramFacebookTwitterPinterest and Bloglovin too :-) xx


  1. It looks like a great pattern! I love both fabrics you’ve used.

    1. Thanks lovely - it’s a great way to use up some spare jersey as doesn’t take much :)