It's all Heart - WBM

 The Heart Tunic - a pattern by Wardrobe By Me

I love to make shirts and this one appealed immensely. I bought a Tunic Kurta from South East Asia Collection in Norwich a few years ago and it's the comfiest thing ever for covering up in hot weather. (Totally worth a visit if you're in the area!)

The Heart Tunic popped up on my radar and it instantly drew me in as it looked just like my 'real' Indian version.

A chance to recreate a well-worn favourite - definitely worth a shot!

In addition to being a lovely shirt pattern, it was the chance to do a sew-along with The Willowers (my IRL Thursday sewing group who I have not seen for many many months now). We all selected different materials and styles and made our Heart Tunics over the course of June. It felt nice to be close to the sewing ladies again even just virtually by way of a shared make.

I went for the basic version View A that has no cuffs, but a sleeve you can roll and button up. It's hip length with side slits and a box pleat at the back yoke for easy-breezy fit. 

This is a size 16/18 and fit was spot-on for my liking. It pools a tiny bit at the back but who cares.  It fits across my back which is where I have most issues with shirts.

This fabric is 'linen look' cotton-viscose mix from SewAnonymous and the quality is lovely. The natural fibers made this a good choice for warm weather! (If we ever get more than 5 minutes of it). The black contrast is some scraps of Flow Viscose-Linen from Lamazi used on some other projects.

My favourite bit of this shirt are these hidden tabs which live on the inside of the sleeve, ready and waiting to flip out when you roll your sleeves up!
This was my second ever attempt at a placket neckline. The first being about 7 years ago which put me off for life. With a bit more experience under the belt, this one was still tricky (it took me 2 attempts) but got there in the end! 

There is also a FULL VIDEO of how to construct this tunic on Youtube which I discovered on attempt number 2 of doing the placket!

As with all Wardrobe By Me patterns, the drafting, instructions and guidance were immaculate so there's not many places to go wrong with this. 

There's this version of the pattern with bust darts, but also a 'Men's' version of this pattern too. Interestingly just called 'Tunic' not 'Heart Tunic'. 

I loved seeing how differently one pattern came out  when made by several people with differing styles!


 Feel free to comment and come and say hello on InstagramFacebookTwitterPinterest and Bloglovin too xxx

Jazzy Pants - Winslow Culottes

 So it's been about a million years since the launch of the Winslow Culottes by Helen's Closet yet here I am...just having a go. 

I'd never really fancied them before but since Summer 2021 seems to be my year of the wide leg trousers, I figured now would be a good time to give the pattern a test drive. 

I started off with my usual Helen's closet size of 16/18 but I made a LOT of changes to these. 

Firstly, having found the crotch curve of the Fifi pants to be truly magical, I started by tracing that off onto these culottes so at least that would not be a major issue. 

After this I compared the pattern for the rise and wow, these were large in that area. I took a whole 5" out of the front rise at the shorten line, and 2" from the back rise. They probably would have been fine as I went to look at pictures of other people's culottes and it is a very 'skirt' like trouser. I wanted a trouser-like trouser so made the adjustments accordingly. 

The box pleat in the front is lovely and the deep side seam pockets are a great addition. 

These culottes are the elasticated wait version - for this hack the instructions tell you to just ignore the pleat in the back pieces and it all gathers up with the insertion of the elastic waistband.

There was way too much gather in the back for my liking (again - just my aversion to skirts) and so I took a good 3 or 4" out of the back pattern piece, just shaving it off the side seam. Still loose and perfectly large enough to get over my hips, just less gathering over the bum. 

Initially I made the full length version, however they were just a fraction tooooo short to look like long culottes and there was something just...'off'. Plus they were large enough for Clyde to decide to find himself a nap spot underneath.

Excuse the annoyed face. Rocking a hangover when I took these pictures. 

The scissors came out and the fabric came off at the hem. Much better.

This jazzy fabric is a really nice viscose from eBay - a seller called Crystals009 which I was alerted to by the Stitch Sisters. (£5pm! Bargain.)

I should also probably mention that my tank is the Wendy Ward - Winnats Tank in some leftover bamboo jersey - with added Cricut made bugs from heat transfer vinyl!  Loved making this top....a good fun palette cleanser.

Whilst my Winslow's are not my favourite make or look particularly flattering, they do fit my summer trouser needs and are very comfy - and you know that's my main criteria!

Edit - these have since been dismantled and turned into shorts! After wearing these culottes for a day I just didn't like them. Win some you lose some :) 

Feel free to comment and come and say hello on InstagramFacebookTwitterPinterest and Bloglovin too xxx