An Archer in the Stars

As part of my night class assignments we had to make, fit and create a shirt.... what a perfect opportunity to try out the Grainline Studio Archer Shirt!

This shirt has been on my 'to make' list for ages (and apparently my 'to blog' list aswell having finished it in May!) - having already stalked several hundred versions on the interwebs as inspiration. One of my favs is Meg's version on Cookin' & Craftin' - I even went so far as to buy the exact same fabric as her. (Girl/Shirt Combo-Crush). In winter. Being as it was coming into summer at the time I made it - a hot flannel shirt was probably not the best of ideas. (Although to be fair it is the UK so you never know.)

A cooler breezier fabric was needed - enter the amazingness which is.....Constellation Cotton! My inner space nerd is happy.

This super-geek fabric was obtained from Fabworks Mill some time ago. I WAS going to add space buttons aswell but,,,,that was a bit much really.

The pattern itself was lovely to assemble - and once I'd found the step-by-sep sewalong pages the instructions were very clear.

I made a couple of alterations to the pattern after making a toile.

Toile Version
The sleeves were quite billowy therefore I removed 4cm from the length at the shorten line. I also wanted more of a tunic length to wear over leggings therefore I added 10cm to the length of the body of the shirt. I also found some lovely blue pearlescent buttons that matched quite nicely.

I ignored the instructions for the collar and went with The Fabric Wrangler method which is also the version on Four Square Walls - so much easier to get a neat finish - have a look if you've not tried this :)

Weird smug face - I could get no decent pictures today!

Apparently this little guy was a fan of my cuffs and plackets
 Will definitely be using this pattern again - perhaps the flannel version will get made soon for autumn/winter wear!

Feel free to comment and come and say hello on InstagramFacebookTwitterPinterest and Bloglovin too :-) xx

Ogden Cami - True Bias

I needed a quick and easy project for the Sewing Weekender and the Ogden Cami by True Bias seemed to fit the bill.

Turns out when you're surrounded by people and massively distracted it was neither quick nor easy!

After measuring and using the size chart I came out as an 8 - 10...which rang alarm bells as I haven't been a size 8 in any sewing pattern ever. A quick toile was required to satisfy the suspicions and I'm glad I did. The front fit quite nicely however I was completely trapped in at the back and way too broad for the size. I flexed my arms forward in hulk style and it ripped straight down the centre back!

Mini panic set in as I had to pack that evening and I had no idea how to fix the pattern - however lovely boyfriend stepped up and pinned a spare bit of fabric into the gap made by the rip and drew the V back in! Genius. So the toile got dismantled and I was able to retrace the Frankenstein back piece into a new pattern piece.

We're off on our holidays to see some giant tortoises soon, so a tropical turtle print fabric from Minerva Crafts seemed appropriate! It's a cotton batik and therefore not particularly drapey which is a shame so the effect is a bit boxy.

In theory it should have been quite simple to assemble but I managed to mess the straps up several times by not reading the instructions properly - as I say I was very distracted! Due to the pattern alteration I had to make the back V does sit very low but I think it looks ok. I'm also struggling for decent pictures of this one but here is the general idea:

It is really enjoyable to make as its very neatly finished, its also half-lined for modesty and ease of bra-lessness in hot weather.

 I also had some liberty print left over from my Anna Dress last year and managed to squeeze another Ogden out of it! Seems a little fabric goes a long way with this pattern. This is cotton lawn and just a fraction softer for draping - but still not quite what the pattern calls for.

I do have a third one on the go! Goldilocks style the third fabric choice might be just right. Its a buttery soft viscose from The Textile Centre in Royal Blue. Mmmmm..... drapey, soft and lovely.

An extra 1cm of seam allowance was cut aswell for a bit of extra under arm room on this one. Fingers crossed it turns out well as I love the colour!

Update: It was lovely!

Feel free to comment and come and say hello on InstagramFacebookTwitter and Bloglovin too :-) xx