Bettine - Tilly and the Buttons

I tried my first Tilly and the Buttons pattern! I was a big fan since Great British Sewing Bee 1 however I had never tried one of Tilly's patterns before - its not that I have anything against them - but ordinarily the designs are just not things I would wear as my style. HOWEVER in stepped the latest Bettine pattern and that definitely grabbed my attention.

The pattern is described as "an easy-peasy throw-it-over-your-head dress. It has a blousy bodice with scoop neckline, kimono sleeves which hang softly around the underarm, turn-up cuffs, elasticated waistline to cinch you in and flattering tulip skirt."

Tilly you had me at "easy-peasy throw-it-over-your-head" - this is all I require of my clothes. Easy comfort. Oh yeah....and the lack of having to put in a sleeve (::shudder::) After having a little Pinterest stalk to see some versions it was clear that the pattern had great potential for effortless style.

This was the kind of dress I envisioned for my blue liberty fabric - in fact it looks a lot like the example dress used on the Liberty website to demonstrate the patterns.

As I have a massive fear of chopping into 'special' fabric - I did a test run with some very cool Glow in the Dark Sugar Skull fabric by The Textile Centre (via eBay). I didn't expect to love this fabric as much as I do - it glows in the dark dammit!! Here is the result:

I followed the pattern and sizing chart exactly to see what it would turn out like - this one is cut size 5 on top and graded to size 6 for the bottom half. As it was a test version I went for all the bells and whistles (well, cuff tabs and pockets).

Firstly the pattern itself is beautiful - a very bright packet, full booklet of colour photo instructions and high quality paper for the pattern itself. In true Tilly fashion I traced it onto Swedish Tracing Paper (which by the way is AMAZING).

The instructions are very clear and easy to follow at every stage. I really liked how the construction was very simple but effective and how neat the insides turned out too.

Constructing the pocket
Inside out!
 The ONLY changes I made to this pattern was to lengthen it by about an inch for a better length (I'm 5ft7) and then when making the elastic casing. Instead of pressing and sewing it down onto the skirt and pockets, I pressed it up onto the bodice. I found that pressing it downwards obscured the clean lines of the pockets a bit as they get gathered aswell, plus the skirt rode up a bit and made it look quite 'hip-py' which was not very flattering. A very simple change though, made a lot of difference.

It really is a fab little dress - incredibly comfortable and as promised, easy to throw on and go.

Here is a few close up pics of the details:

cuff and cuff tab
pocket and waist
bodice - I hadn't pressed the neckline at this point!

So testing done - onto the Liberty Lawn! Come and say hi on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Bloglovin too :-) xx


  1. I love the fabric you used, my daughter loves anything with skulls. Must get some of this. You look great in your bettine dress. I've just traced my copy of the pattern, can't wait to get started!

    1. Thanks Catherine! Definitely recommend the fabric, is lovely and soft - would love to see your daughter's dress when its done. Wishing you happy Bettine sewing! x

  2. Fabric envy! Looks great on you! xox

    1. Thank yoouuuu x if only i could still fit in it :-/